Saturday, February 6, 2010

rough days

Boz man had some rough days on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I'm not sure he kept anything down. I had to give him 30ML's of fluids, 15 on Wednesday, and 15 on Thursday. I made an appointment for him with the surgeon, to see if they could do anything for him. Dr Brown put into words what I already knew...He was circling the drain.

I managed to get an appointment at 11:00 on Friday, before the storm hit. Of course, On Friday, he was having a good day. Breakfast, no vomiting. Alert, almost back to "normal". We went to the appointment at South Paws, and met with the surgeon. She was awesome. She checked out the little guy, looked at his films, and consulted with another vet there. We sat down to discuss our options.

Boz takes a nap in his favorite spot.

Napping with Bishop.

Neither the surgeon or the other vet (sorry, I can't remember her speciality) was convinced there was a hernia. They both were leaning to the megaesophagus as the biggest problem. Both think that even of they fix the hernia (if there is one) that the congenital issue (megaesophagus) will continue to be a big problem. This is a very rare occurrence in cats, but with dogs, the low motility causes them to aspirate, and get pneumonia. They don't usually live long. Not great news.

They are willing to do a fluoroscopy, but think that they need to wait until he is having a "bad day" to really see if there is a hernia. If it is in, they won't see anything. If it is out, they will be able to see it. The risk is, he could aspirate on the barium. If he is not keeping anything down, and they have to lay him on his side and give him food with barium in it, if he were to aspirate it could kill him.

The hard part is, he was feeling pretty good on Friday, and Saturday. I guess at this time we just wait and see how he does. I don't want him to suffer, but I can't make that hard decision when he is feeling good, and eating. Friday and Saturday, there was no vomiting. Even on a good day that's unusual. Maybe I am being crazy, just getting more attached, when the inevitable is going to happen, but so be it.

Buck gives Bosley regular baths.

As for the nausea, I started him back on the stuff I got from Pet Sage on Thursday, and Friday he was a lot better. Just lucky? Maybe. But I am going to give it to him again, 3 or 4 times a day, as long as I think it's making a difference. I still believe there is a hernia. I don't know how else to explain how he goes from horrible, not able to keep anything down, to no vomiting, and seeming to feel pretty well from one day to the next. Nothing else makes sense. For now, we will just play this by ear.

Boz snuggles with Buck.

Buck sometimes forgets Bosley is not his toy.

Sunday, and another good day. He did vomit after breakfast, but I gave him a squirt of the Pet Sage mixture, and he ate again after a few minutes, and was fine. I can't imagine what else this could be but a hernia. I am sure we will be chatting with the vet about it again. He was just so cute and happy this weekend. Check out this video. He sure doesn't look sick!