Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Miracle?

Let's face it. Yesterday Robyn pretty much got a death sentence. Panleukopenia is a diagnosis that strikes fear in the hearts of shelter's and catteries everywhere. It is highly contagious, and it can live a long time on surfaces. It's hard to kill, only bleach or trifectant can kill it.

Last night, Robyn was still lethargic, and hadn't really eaten since Sunday afternoon. I force fed her KMR, which is the formula for bottle babies. I figured it was full of nutrition, and maybe she could keep it down. I gave her canned food, mixed with water and added some nutri-cal for good measure. Metro for the diarrhea, along with the kaopectate for good measure. I was going to do anything I could to save her.

Just before I went to bed, I gave her the last dose of Metro for the night, thinking I had done all I could do. She proceeded to projectile vomit everything I had given her up on me, and anything else in sight. It was pretty much liquid, the KMR I had forced in her. Needless to say, I was not feeling very hopeful when I finally went to bed.

When I got up this morning, I went in to feed the other 3 first. I moved Robyn into my office to isolate her from the others, since they were not showing signs of Panleukopenia, and I want to keep it that way. They all 3 tried to crash the gate when I opened the door. I caught them all and pushed them back in the room,and put a can of food down. They all rushed the bowl of food, and I had a much easier time getting out of there than I did getting in.

Before I even opened my office door, I heard crying. I opened the door, and there was Robyn, crying, trying to get out! This was not the same kitten I left in there last night. She was frantic, and purring, and still crying when I picked her up. I went out and got a can of food, but she had food in her bowl from last night, so I wasn't sure what she wanted. Well, she must not have realized the food was there, because I opened the can, and she couldn't even wait for me to get it in the bowl. I chunked it up a bit, and she jumped on me and started to eat it out of the can! She ate quite a bit this morning, and she ate with gusto.

She is now sitting on my desk in her little bed, purring away, belly full. I will give her another dose of Metro before I go to work, and see if I can get some fluids in her, but I am amazed at the difference. Her belly was hard last night, and you could almost see her intestines under the skin. This morning, the belly is soft, normal looking. She seems like she feels a lot better. She ate! No bloody stools over night. No stool at all yet.

Yeah, I am thinking it's a miracle.


Martha said...

Amazing! I know better now than to ever count a kitten down. The vomiting would have left us depressed's such a bad sign...but we've had kittens vomit after forcing KMR. Have you tried slurry with A/D instead? It's fine enough to go through a syringe and easier to get down them. I'm SO happy to hear Robyn is better...continued good vibes are going your way today.

Jamie said...

Yeah, we are doing the water and ID today. She ate like a pig this morning, and also drank a lot of water...and I found a huge wet/vomit spot on the bed she was on this afternoon, BUT, she doesn't seem to be in pain, and she is still very loving. She is sitting with me now on her little bed on my desk, and she is purring and kneading my arm as I type this. The good news is, no bloody stool. No stool at all so far today.